"Those who tell you something cannot be done have never done anything that required faith in God." Jen Backus

Saturday, May 23, 2009

We Have Popcorn!

We are doing well. We have had several visits this week from family and friends. My father-in-law brought the young men from his ward over to mow our back yard as a service project. What would have taken us all day took them a couple of hours and it looks great. Thank you Mike! We also woke up to a surprise on our front porch one morning of a party tub filled with toys and games for the kids as well as a restaurant card for Mark and I. The boys were so excited. Hyrum danced around the house singing "We have popcorn, we have popcorn" to his own invented tune. I had no idea my kids were so deprived. I used to buy popcorn, until the boys took my popcorn popper outside one day and the dogs chewed up the pieces. And why not? Hopefully those with boys can relate and it is not just MY boys. The things they do sometimes simply defy explanation. Anyway that was a while ago, so the popcorn was a huge hit. To the anonymous giver of the party tub: thank you! We loved it.
I promised to detail the things we are doing to bring Mark back to a state of good health. I should probably start by explaining the basics. A few years ago I bought a cookbook that led me to adopt my entire philosophy on nutrition and health. When I have a question about anything related to food, I first turn to this foundation. The cookbook is called Nourishing Traditions, and the foundation is called the Weston Price Foundation. The principles are pretty simple (but they can get pretty technical if you want, and I don't). If I could really sum it up I would say this:
1. cod liver oil
2. no processed foods, refined white flours or sugars, artificial colorings/flavorings, anything like that.
3. healthy fats are vital
4. Raw dairy products
5. Lacto-fermented beverages and condiments.

6. lots of seasonal, local produce.
So this is how I cook. Most of the time. I do confess to making cookies and cakes when the occasion arises, but there are some things I will make a big deal about NEVER ingesting, like aspartame, and soy products. But I digress. So to start with, Mark is taking cod liver oil very diligently twice a day. Bless his heart he does not complain. That is something I absolutely love about him. He has always supported me in all my weirdness and is always willing to listen as I bounce off whatever it is I am learning about on him. I am always reading and researching things, and I'll make my mind up about something and then forget why. (Yes I have lately begun taking notes). So sometimes I say- I don't remember why, but I know this ingredient is toxic. And he trusts me! And I love him for it.
Mark has promised to tell me if he notices any changes in his condition at all. It is difficult for me to notice a change when I see him for most of every day, but he has allowed me to copy the following paragraph. It is cut from the middle of his most recent letter to his brother Mitchell, who is serving a mission in Kennewick, Washington.


"My condition has slightly worsened. My right calf is getting a little weaker and it is getting harder to stand up from a lying or sitting position. The goal is to stop the muscle twitches. If we stop the muscle twitches…we stop the disease. So I really have to pay close attention to my body throughout the day…especially when I try a new vitamin, mineral, supplement, oil, treatment….etc…... My whole left arm is weak, shriveled and almost crippled. I can barely use my left thumb to pick up a piece of paper. I can not tie my shoes, put on my socks, tie my tie, button my pants, or hold anything more than 10 lbs. in my left hand. Do not be discouraged, my body will be perfect someday. :) TRY FOR ONE DAY OR ONE HOUR NOT TO USE YOUR LEFT ARM…THAT’S HOW I LIVE EVERYDAY."

As I read that back to myself, it sounds a bit harsh. But Mark has always been honest, sometimes painfully so. He remains thankful for the strength he still has, and even still wrestles with the boys. Today he and the boys cleaned the entire house while I made dinner. It was so nice, even if it did inspire Bryce to rearrange bedrooms, move his and his brothers' beds around and create a disaster area in his brothers' room. By the time they were done it was bedtime. What a mess. But they were so happy with their new room. Maybe we'll let them keep it that way for a while.

3 comments:

Rasheta Family said...

Thank you for taking the time to update us with your blog. Mark is such an amazing person and I love being able to get a glimpse of how he is doing through this blog. I am so glad he has such a great family and I am glad your knowledge on nutrition is being used. Keep up the great attitude and know that we are praying for you guys and admiring you.

- Nik and Family.

Unknown said...

Hiya Liz. It's Elena, Chad Thurston's wife. I'm so glad you started this because your family has been on our mind every day but we didn't want to bug you with news. So know that your writing efforts are paying off. Also, I had no idea you were so interested in nutrition! I think that's awesome! I am currently going without dairy for the moment and am feeling so much better. So I'm interested in your non-processed dairy. What is that?

Anonymous said...

Hello you guys. I am so glad you are taking the time to do this, I know I ask carla all the time and then relay to the gray girls. Liz I have also looked into juicing for Mark along with acupuncture therapy. I don't think it's weird and I know Grandpa Arnold would not either, by the way he is home finally after 3 1/2 months. You guys are always in our prayers and thoughts. I sent an email to Steven Hawking no response. Huggs to all